When it comes to skin care, summer is the worst season. With its above average days of full sunlight and high temperatures, the hot summer months are practically “ground zero” for the most common skin problems.
Here are my 5 top tips for protecting your skin from the harsh rays of the sun in summer and all year round:
1. Wear Sunscreen All the Time — Most people apply sunscreen only when they know they will be spending time in direct sunlight, such as at the beach or while exercising outdoors. But UVA rays can penetrate glass and affect the skin even when you are indoors. UVA and UVB rays are harmful to skin cells and overexposure can even lead to skin cancers. While UVB rays are effectively blocked by glass, about 60% of UVA rays can pass right through glass.
2. See Your Dermatologist Fort Lauderdale Annually — Due to the high amount of sunshine people are exposed to regularly, it’s important that you schedule and appointment to see your dermatologist at least once per year so you can track any moles and look for changes to make sure they aren’t cancerous. Skin cancer is one of the easiest to catch early if you make it a habit to actively look out for irregular changes.
3. Leave Pimples Alone — Resist the temptation to pop a pimple on your own. Not only can this increase the risk for infection, but it also can cause the root to go deeper into the skin, potentially turning a minor blemish into a cyst that requires medical attention to remove it.
4. Keep Your Face Clean – Washing your face is a fast, easy and safe way to reduce your risk of skin problems. Sweat from makeup and buildup of oils throughout the day can wreak havoc on your facial skin, often resulting in blackheads and breakouts. Make it a habit to wash your face frequently, especially after working out and before going to bed.
5. Don’t Ignore the Rest of Your Body — Many people spend a lot of time and money on professional treatments and skincare regimens for their face. But the skin covering the rest of their bodies is just as prone to problems and deserves the same amount of attention.
For the best dermatological service available anywhere, turn to Bay Pointe Dermatology for all your skin care needs.